Christmas is a magical time the house is filled with lights, candles, presents and the lovely Christmas tree. But let us not forget the fire risk that can come with these and the best way to deal with a fire did one break out.
A real Christmas tree can fill a room with smoke, fire and gases within minutes. the best way to deal with this would be to use a extinguisher that can be found on are website https://www.marsden-fire-safety.co.uk/t/categories/fire-extinguishers. However we don’t all have them in are homes so water and 999 should be used. Never place your tree near a fire place or anything that could dry it out quicker and cause it to catch alight
When picking your light to add to the tree you need to make sure the fuses are the right type, replace all blown bulbs, never leave your lights on when you go out or go to bed and make sure two light don’t touch as these can heat up and catch alight.
When it comes to hanging up your decorations
- Don’t attach them to lights or heaters
- Don’t put them immediately above or around the fireplace
- Keep them away from candles.
Take a look at our candle safety page to make sure you keep safe while using your candles over Christmas.